Sunday, February 15, 2009

We need to Pay Attention

I had a big week of training this week. 12 hours of cycling and 180+ miles. But, on today's BIG group ride there was a new guy who maybe got in a bit over his head and rode into the wheel in front at the 2 hour mark and hit the ground so hard he knocked himself unconscious and had a concussion after wards.

It was a scary moment to say the least as he lay motionless on the road. But thinking about it after getting home I got this feeling that it was the experienced guys fault more than his. We should have noticed he was tired and starting to lose focus.
We should have recommended he take a breather or placed a rider with him to keep an eye on him.

I know some guys are very good at this already, but they cannot be around every rider all of the time. I will try and be more aware and proactive about other riders from now on. Especially if there is someone I have never met on the ride.

I ask that we all be more aware of the riders we are with and their body language. I have not heard anymore about his condition, but I wish him a speedy recovery and I hope his wife is not freaking out.

No comments: